Austin came across my website recently and wanted to share a cool article to add to the Resource Zone from the University of Central Florida Engineering department. I will summarize the article and list the 5 Space STEM ideas for you to use at Summer Camp. If you are not using themes, I highly encourage you to do this. Staff can dress up, and you can have a focus for your week. It will make it fun and encourage skill development too. STEM isn’t just a buzz word or gimmick. STEM Jobs are growing at a fast rate, and exposing your campers to this kind of programming will be very beneficial to them. The full article is found here https://www.ucf.edu/online/engineering/news/five-stem-space-activities/
- Straw Rocket Competition – https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/pdfs/sodastrawrocket.pdf
- How To Build A Telescope – https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/explore/nature/make-a-telescope/
- Walk Like An Astronaut – https://www.teachengineering.org/lessons/view/cub_solar_lesson05
- Host A Space Lander Competition – https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/418011main_OTM_Touchdown.pdf
- Chart A New Galaxy – https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/starfinder2/en/
I will include the detailed activities UCF listed in the Resource Zone under Youth Programming.